Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sewing with Mom Tobler

One of my current projects is creating a "Jessie" costume for Steph.


 So the other day I was making the chaps.

  • Drafted the pattern from a pair of real chaps Steph had picked up at a yard sale.
  • Made some design change to make them more size adjustable.
  • Cut out the vinyl backing.
  • Went to cut out the  cow print suede cloth and discovered I was 1" too short of fabric. Had some very irritated thoughts....( I blame the shortage on Joanne's Fabrics.)
  • I don't want to shorten the chaps...even by one inch.  (Put Steph in cowboy boots and them thar' are some looong legs.)
  • So I decide to create a yoke at the top of the chaps to give me the needed length  and add some western detailing.
  • I cut out the cow print suede cloth.
  • I cut out the yokes out of the scraps.
  • Sew one leg to the vinyl....(thinking ...man this project is going fast.)
  • Can't find the other cow print leg piece.
  • Look everywhere...go thru the scrap pile,  look everywhere I've been in the house...the fitting room,  the fabric armoire...behind my sewing tables...under the kitchen table...thru the scrap pile again...behind the couch...
  • Now I am getting frustrated...my progress is stalling out.
  • I go thru the scrap pile... AGAIN.     
  • I find it....with the yoke pieces cut neatly out of the lower leg... Bad word.

Deep breath....now how to solve my dilemma.
Back to the scrap pile...I am able to match the fabric pattern and piece the lower leg back on.
Create a nice diagonal stitching line that adds design and holds the cow print to the vinyl backing.
Add stitching to the other leg (without the piecing and cutting.)

 Next... add thrift store bought belts to the front and back.  D-rings and straps...
Mission accomplished.

Today I'm working on Jessie's shirt. (Hoping that I don't have more irritations or bad words:) )

Watch for the picture of Steph  as Jessie...
coming Saturday...that's her Toy Story Party event.

2 comments:

Janet said...

LOVE IT!!! You are awesome Jan!

Stephanie Tobler said...

Oh mom I love them!! You are so amazing!! And.... I miss you. I can't wait to see you on Saturday with the whole look! Yeeehawww