Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Our end-of-the-summer celebration

What a great four-day weekend we had with no real obligations, just 4 days to do whatever we pleased! Here an accounting of how we spent our time...

Friday: We went running/slogging, then we puttered about the house trying to accomplish something. I cut Karl's hair. Spent the evening at the temple...ahhh...great way to end the day.

Saturday: Karl helps someone move and goes home-teaching. I go yard sale-ing with my neighbor, Rosanne. Our best deal was found bartering with an old cigar-smoking "had-to-have-been-a-retired-used-car-salesman-claiming-to-be-a-brain-surgeon" over a file cabinet! After a lot of haggling the crusty old fellow (generously) gives it to us for $20 and then continues to murmur about his losing deal as he throws in a blanket and a bungee cord...we're still laughing, ya gotta' love old coots like that.

I made bean salad and funeral potatoes...Karl tries to find somewhere to watch the BYU game.

Karl watches the BYU game at Rosanne's, while Rosanne and I swim, eat a "Man-Feast" of BBQ Ribs, and swim some more while we watch the moon come up. Karl is still rejoicing about the BYU game!

I'm going to miss Rosanne, she's spending a month in Pasco with her hubby who works there. We've told her about Fall in Pasco...the smell of the grapes in the air, the leaves actually turn colors, the mornings are crisp and the days are beautiful...she's excited, I'm jealous.

Sunday: We eat left-over ribs and funeral potatoes. Jake and Steph join us. Steph is sick with a body-aching flu (really, it's the flu!) Home-teachers come bearing my favorite Macadamia nut, white chocolate chip cookies...home made by Bro. Waggoner...he's a master of cookie making. I tried not to share! But someone noticed that I had carefully set them aside and foiled my plan. The cookies got passed around.

Monday: We both run the 5K at the Stake Fun Run. I shaved 2 minutes off my July fun run time...I've gone from "old lady shuffle" to just "old-lady slow". Karl added 30 seconds to his over-all time...he's bummed but I think a 9 minute/mile is pretty good for an old guy.

I savor the last of the Macadamia Nut Cookies and am forced to share again.

Take a nap. Putter about the house and yard making an attempt to accomplish something...some progress but nothing completed. Take another nap! Ahhh, the good life.

Grilled some hamburgers. Jake and Steph and the Dunsmoors come over to help us enjoy our last feast of summer. Sooo good! I tried Pioneer Woman's burger recipe with caramelized onions and blue cheese...delicious. But everyone else is scared of the blue cheese and goes the traditional tomato and pickle route. Except Steph. She doesn't eat much is anything. She's is still miserable and achy. Sis. Dunsmoor calls her doctor son. It's just another flu going around that lasts about 4+ days. Steph will live. Prescription...drink plenty of liquids. So we all have another round of lemonade.

Good bye summer.

Next goal...enjoy Fall and maybe finish a few of those projects we've started.

I can't believe I didn't take one picture the whole weekend but I did get a great camera case at a yard sale!

Love, Mom Tobler

2 comments:

Melissa and Bryan said...

It's so fun to see what the Toblers are up to! We miss you guys! And it's good to hear that you still keep up with the yard selling! I remember those Saturday mornings going yard selling with you and some of the young women in the ward. What fun times!

Anonymous said...

Your right about fall in Pasco. Just the last couple of days I can start to feel it in the air. Makes me appreciate it even more reading about it on your blog! It gives me renewed energy for some reason.
Missed your annual labor day weekend bbq that you guys always used to have. I guess we are all too lazy to take your place! JS