Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My true colors come through again!

For years I've been semi- looking for dinnerware that I really liked.
A few years ago I saw these at William-Sonoma ...and I've been lusting after them ever since.

But I knew in my heart that if I had the money and chance to buy them... I wouldn't. I couldn't pay that kind of money for dishes. They are just dishes!!! So I have just been pondering how to get what I wanted for a price that I would pay...cheap.

Besides, our set of yard-sale-collected Corelleware has been serving us well for 25+ years just fine. And whether it's been a casual meal or a special dinner our table setting has been acceptable and our food has tasted pretty good off of those old Corelle plates.

Well a few weeks ago when Steph and I unearthed a marvelous set of white basketweave dinnerware at Deseret Industries for her...the light came on. I knew I wouldn't find place settings for 12 of Apilco Hemstitch dinnerware at D.I. but I could amass an eclectic collection of nice white plates...similar in shade and size but different patterns. What an interest table that would set. I really liked the idea.
So on my first plate hunting trip to D.I. I found these. Blew my whole idea.
A beautiful set of 10 Sheffield Bone White porcelain dinner plates...that on closer inspection appear to be new! Not even a scatch to be found!

Right there on the same Deseret Industries shelf with them were 8 Gibson dessert/salad plates that were extremely similar... someone would really have to be scrutinizing detail to notice they are not identical.

And they set a beatuiful table.
(The centerpiece is a garland from the head table of the wedding I'd catered the night before. They're real!)

I will still have to collect a few eclectic pieces to set a table for 12 or more but the hunt will be so fun! And for $18.00... my heart is happy.

Love, Mom T.

4 comments:

Stephanie Tobler said...

I love them! Good find!

Ash Savage said...

Yay! That's similar to what I did for my Dining Room. My formal Dining Table seats 10, but there is no way I will ever be able to afford 10 new matching chairs. So, at garage sales I found 10 different chairs, and painted them all black. I love it, and it didn't cost me more than $50!

May the rest of the plates find you!

Riggs Familia said...

cute plates. i love the idea.

so here you go-- telling us all about this lovely food you've been cooking. and still...sadly enough...no recipes. oh jan, i need your recipes!

Lynnette said...

HEY! I have not been on your blog forever! But I just did! How exciting!! New dishes & Catering!!! Wow!! That sounds like lots of fun! Right up your alley! It all looks Beautiful! Talk to you soon!
Lynnette