Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Picking in the Pines

Our Flagstaff Adventure.
I'd never been to Flagstaff and Karl really wanted to go to this Bluegrass Festival so when Karl had Friday off and Saturday was free...it was a WIN-WIN situation.
 First stop... Slide Rock
 
 This place was beautiful.
 
We pondered actually hopping in and doing the waterslide thing...but the water was way too cold.  So hiking and wading was just fine for us. 
 
  
 I could have hike all day around here
but there was a picnic lunch and exploring Sedona waiting for us
so Karl was like a cow headed to the barn.

Sedona.  What a beautiful artsy little town.  
 
Karl was hoping for street musicians.
There were none.

A quick walk up and down the main street
 an ice cream cone and a $5.00 nibble of fudge
'
 and we were ready to drive on to Flagstaff.
 We did love the saying on this tee-shirt.
 Our hotel in Flagstaff was wonderful...thank you Hotwire.
 But our best discovery was that Flagstaff has a Pita Jungle.
 A favorite from our visits to Clark and Rachel's in Phoenix.
 Oh blue chip nachos how I have missed you!
It was a miracle we found the place since our GPS insisted that the address didn't exist.
A tender mercy for sure.
 Saturday...devoted to the Bluegrass Festival.
 The day was beautiful
so all OUR raincoats and umbrellas were left in the car.
In fact it was so sunny it got quite hot.
Karl had gone off to a guitar workshop when it suddenly started to sprinkle and then rain ...all while sun was still shining and the sky was blue.  I had to really crank my neck to see where this rain cloud was.  
 
Almost  immediately the rain clouds took over the sky and it started to pour.  Umbrellas popped up everywhere...smart people.  I just had to huddle under Karl's jacket. (Karl's workshop was conveniently located under a pavilion.
  Then it started to hail and I thought...Oh hail  :)
Thankfully  storm passed quickly and the sun came out.  I walked the 236 yards (that is what some guy waiting for the shuttle bus told us it was but I think it was farther) to the car and got my raincoat and both umbrellas.  I was not going to be caught "unprepared" again. 
The umbrella came in handy very quickly since the sun came out with such intensity I used it to shade my right side most of the afternoon. 
Late afternoon a sudden thunder clap startled this dozing audience into action. 
 
The encroaching  rain clouds were very dark and threatening.    Raincoats come out.  Tarps were made ready and many folks just gathered up their chairs and gear and  headed out.   Our rowmate muttered something about "this is going to be a bad one" as he packed up his belongings, his wife and headed out.  
We waffled for a few minutes pondering the price of our tickets and missing a couple of the bands verses  staying dry and getting on the road sooner for the 4 hour trip home.
As it started to rain the latter won out and we headed home...after a quick stop at Subway.
We Toblers never like to miss a meal.

3 comments:

Rach and Clark said...

Sounds like such a fun weekend, and I'm glad you two finally made it to Sedona and Flagstaff! Man, we sure do miss Pita Jungle. Might be our main reason to move back to the Valley of the Sun!

Janet said...

Wow looks like you had a wonderful time despite the rain. love the pictures!

Michael and Anita said...

The "Oh hail" made me laugh out loud. Michael looks for every excuse to use that one. :) What a fun trip! I had no idea Flagstaff was so beautiful.