Last week Steph and I went yard sale-ing ...as usual. And as usual, I'm watching for good old sewing machines for next to nothing. Especially since I had advised someone that their old singer had broken (plastic) gears, that it wasn't worth fixing and that I would watch for a machine for her.
So I spot this little sewing machine and ask "how much?' $5.00. [Hmmmm.. something must be majorly wrong with it]. "Can I plug it in?" As I pick it up I notice that the slide-off plastic part on the bed didn't sit flat to the machine and the back leg of the machine had been broken off. [poor baby...it's been dropped] It ran a little sluggish but sounded okay. [probably only good for a boat anchor...but I can get $5.00 worth of parts off of it]
So I buy it.
Wednesday while I was cleaning a friend's serger...
[I love taking apart sewing machines]
I decided I would look at my "little boat anchor" and get the parts off it. But first I'd see if I could get it to sit straight..so I took a hammer to the front leg [it's already cracked]. Now the crack is a little bigger...but it sits level. I opened it up [poor baby...somebody oiled you cheap oil that solidified] All metal parts [my heart is happy]. Then I noticed there are no signs of wear...no needle dings in the needle plate, no pin scratches on the bed. Wiped off... this little machine shines like new. Cleaned it up. Oiled up. It purrs. [actually better than my sewing machine...hmmm].
Next I took my dremel [yes, I got my dremel at a yard sale for a dollar : )] to the back where the leg is broken off and smooth away any rough edges that might snag fabric. Now I'm trying to think of a way to replace that missing back leg.
But for now this nice little plastic lid under the free-arm totally stabilizes it. No one sees it. You forget it is even there [okay...it will probably be it's permanent fix].
Steph sewed on it Thursday [daughter-in-law training day : ) ]
She loves it.
Sorry Sydney... maybe I'll find a sewing machine for you at the next yard sale....but this little baby is staying in the family.

1 comment:
This is creative sewing machine repair at its best!
Karl the husband
Post a Comment