Saturday, November 24, 2012

Check off the bucket list

 For years I've wanted a bike and to go bike riding on all the trails around Vegas and St. George.
About a year ago Karl and Chad found me a bike at D.I.  Just what I wanted...a cheap trial bike...to see if we'd really go riding before we spent the big bucks. 
While Chad was here in September he put a trailer hitch on our little car...Thank you Chad.
 A month ago we ordered a bike carrier. Thank you Amazon.

Today we loaded up the bikes and went for the maiden journey with the bike carrier (love it)
to the River Mountain trail loop. 
A 35 mile loop the runs along Boulder City, Lake Mead and Lake Las Vegas.  We did about 4 miles of it (8 miles total)...the Railroad Pass to Boulder City stretch.
We were expecting a leisure bike ride...WRONG.  This was a serious workout ...continual  hills.   I now understand and appreciate 21 speeds...I used 14 of them constantly.  And I must say...the gears on my secondhand cheap bike worked a lot smoother than someone elses much more expensive bike.
  I really appreciated my brakes...both of them.   I got a little  nervous and about "bit it" a few time on some steep grades with hairpin turns.   I did see Karl out peddling around in the rocks...acting like  he intended to be there, saying something about "run away bike". 
Nevada Southern Railway excursion train
Soon to be the Santa Train.
Nothing says serious biker like a fountain drink in the basket.
River Mountains trail...we will be back.  
But next on the Bucket list...the St. George Trails.

2 comments:

Rach and Clark said...

Looks like SO much fun! What a great idea, keeping your basket filled with hydrating fluids ;)

Stephanie Tobler said...

You two are so cute! Looks like you had a great time today!